5-year-old boy attacked by giant python in Byron Bay

5-year-old boy attacked by giant python in Byron Bay

A five-year-old boy is recovering after being attacked by a giant python in his grandparent's Byron Bay back yard.

Beau Blake was swimming with his brother yesterday afternoon, his father Ben said, when a 3 metre long python launched out of the nearby garden and latched on to Beau's ankle.

We were watching them swim, just about to jump in the pool, and all of a sudden: bang, Ben said.

It was like a black shadow came out of the bush. Ben isn't sure if Beau accidentally trod on the snake or scared it, but once the snake had latched on, Beau rolled and fell into the pool, and the snake curled around his legs. His 76-year-old grandfather jumped in almost instantly and lifted him out quickly.

We both jumped up and ran to his aide, Ben said. After Beau was out of the pool, it took about 15 to 20 seconds for Ben to pry the snake from his ankle.

Ben said his son was an absolute trooper after the attack. After a trip to the hospital yesterday where he got the all-clear, Beau stayed home from school today to rest and recover.

He was a bit sheepish and didn't want to go out of the pool this morning, Ben said. We were looking around, a bit sheepish. As for the snake, Ben said he held it for about 10 minutes after freeing Beau before releasing it into the garden.

My dad has lived there for 36 years, and we have probably seen ten snakes on the property, Ben said.

It is snake season; they are out and about and about after all the weather we have had and the climate that s around at the moment they are very mobile. Beau's mother, Tesse Ferguson, shared details of the dramatic evening on social media and warned other parents to keep their eyes peeled. She said that it took quite a bit of effort to pull the python who was firmly wrapped around his leg.

Lots of cuddles for my boys tonight. Tesse said the family is grateful he is OK and wasn't more seriously injured despite Beau being very shaken up.