The Governor-General is not commenting on whether or not he expected Scott Morrison'sMorrison's appointment to five additional portfolios, but he is standing firm on his actions.
Retired General David Hurley said on Monday that he had signed off on Morrison's requests to administer additional portfolios between 2020 and 2021.
He said all appointments were made consistent with the Constitution, and that publicising the moves was up to the government.
On Tuesday, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese confirmed that his predecessor had been secretly appointed to health, finance, treasury, home affairs, and the super-sized industry, science and resources portfolio.
Asked whether he was of the opinion that the appointments would be made public, the Governor-General said he would allow inquiry processes in train to run its course.
He told the ABC that I've released a statement about my role in this, my responsibilities under the principle of responsible government by which we run our country.
I'm content with the process that the Prime Minister has put in place to run through until next week.
Albanese said the former government, not the Governor-General, had questions to answer.
He said I had no intention of making any criticism of the Governor-General.
The governor-general acted in accordance with the recommendations of the government of the day.
The government of the day has to accept responsibility for this. The people who were involved in it directly have to accept responsibility. Mr Morrison refused to be bullied over questions from the press on whether the Governor-General had advised him to publish the decisions.
He said you can't do anything about that.
I think the Governor-General acted with absolute propriety and did everything that was expected of him in these arrangements and he would have taken the necessary advice from his own office.
There was no swearing-in ceremony and these things were done administratively.