Gunman arrested after shooting at Canberra airport

Gunman arrested after shooting at Canberra airport

SYDNEY: A gunman fired about five shots inside Canberra's main airport on Sunday, sending passengers fleeing, but injuring no one before he was arrested by Australian police.

The airport was shut down and evacuated, leading to the suspension of flights.

Images posted on social media showed a police officer restraining a man on the ground as the emergency alarm sounded in the capital's main airport.

A male entered Canberra Airport in the departures area. Detective acting superintendent Dave Craft told reporters outside the airport building that he has sat in one of the areas adjacent to the glass windows.

After about five minutes, this male has removed a firearm from his possession and let off about five rounds, he added.

Craft said the crime scene indicated that the man had fired shots at the glass inside the terminal.

He said there were no shots directed at people, or persons, passengers or staff.

Several apparent bullet impacts were visible on the glass front of the airport, according to images shown by Australia's public broadcaster ABC.

A woman identified as Helen told a reporter for The Guardian that she saw a man shooting into the air not far from the check-in counter, described as middle-aged and clean cut Police said the man was taken into custody and a firearm was recovered. He was arrested at a police station in the city.

After looking at the airport's closed-circuit television images, police said they believed the man had acted alone.

The situation was now contained, according to the police, who described the airport as an active crime scene police said the motive behind the shooting was not immediately clear.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said he had been briefed on the shooting incident.

The prime minister said a man has been arrested and there is no ongoing threat present.

ABC journalist Lily Thomson reported that she heard about the shots before people started to scream.

She saw a fearful woman looking after a baby.

We ran, and I stayed with that grandma and her baby and hid behind an information desk, Thomson reported on ABC.

She said we stayed there for a couple of minutes until security told us to evacuate to the car park.

Everyone was hiding behind chairs and people were running. Canberra airport said it was working with airlines to restart flights by Sunday afternoon, but some flights had been cancelled.