Nairobi Assembly staff spared the axe

161
1
Nairobi Assembly staff spared the axe

Twenty-eight senior Nairobi County Assembly staff who were facing the sack and demotion due to how they were employed have been spared the axe.

The city MCAs agreed to rescind the decision taken in October last year, following recommendations by the Justice and Legal Affairs Committee in a motion by Minority Whip Peter Imwatok.

The Nairobi County Assembly Service Board has been flagged for promoting junior officers to higher positions without qualifications, according to the report.

The committee said in 2020 the board had irregularly moved unqualified junior officers to managerial positions contrary to the law, as those on short-term contracts were given permanent and pensionable terms.

The MCAs agreed on Tuesday to reverse the decision they took last year as well as expunge the records adopting the report.

Mr Speaker, you are correcting what was not right because you know we are a House of Rules and Procedures, said Mr Imwatok. The motion was seconded by nominated MCA Kabiro Mbugua.

A planned advertisement in August to recruit 28 senior officers to replace those who were demoted resulted in a fallout.

Some MCAs and assembly staff opposed the plan, and Sheila Munubi, an employee, went to the Employment and Labour Relations court on August 16, 2021 and sought conservatory orders to stop the planned recruitment.

The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission was dragged into the matter by instituting investigations into the conduct of former and current members of the board who were summoned by the agency to record statements.