The Pentagon has offered unspecified condolences to the family of 10 civilians killed in a botched US drone attack on Afghanistan in August during the final days before American troops withdrew from the country.
The US government department said it made a commitment that included offering ex-gratia condolence payments in addition to working with the US State Department in support of family members who were interested in relocation to the United States.
Colin Kahl, the US under secretary of defence for policy, held a virtual meeting with John Kirby, founder and president of Nutrition Education International, the aid organisation that employed Zemari Ahmadi, who was killed in the 29 August drone attack on Friday, the Pentagon press secretary, Steven Kwon, said.
The innocent victims killed in the strike were Ahmadi and the others who bore no blame and were not affiliated with Islamic state Khorasan Province ISKP or posed a threat to US forces, Kirby said.
The drone strike in Kabul killed as many as 10 civilians, including seven children.
The Pentagon had said earlier that the August 29 strike targeted an Islamic State suicide bomber who posed an imminent threat at the airport to US-led troops as they completed the last stages of their withdrawal from Afghanistan.
However, reports had emerged almost immediately that the drone strike was aimed at civilians in Afghanistan. The attack took place west of Kabul International Airport Hamid Karzai; civilians were killed, including children.
Video from the scene showed the wreckage of a car that was strewn around a building courtyard. The Pentagon later said the strike was a tragic mistake The strike came three days after an Islamic State suicide bomber killed 13 American military and scores of Afghan civilians who were crowded outside the airport gates, desperate to secure seats on evacuation flights.
The killing of civilians raised questions about the future of US counter-terrorism strikes in Afghanistan.