NASA, Boeing say they are standing down from launch attempt of first manned test flight to ISS

77
1
NASA, Boeing say they are standing down from launch attempt of first manned test flight to ISS

On Thursday, NASA and Boeing said they were standing down on the July launch attempt of Boeing's first manned test flight to the ISS.

Boeing says it needs time to conduct additional testing on its parachutes to enable a safe flight for Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams.

This is Boeing's final test flight for certification by NASA but the first with astronauts aboard the company's CST - 100 Starliner spacecraft. During the demonstration, it is expected to be launched atop United Launch Alliance's Atlas V rocket from Florida and return eight days later.

The flight was scheduled to depart for New York on July 21. A new launch date is yet to be determined.

In 2014, NASA chose both Boeing and SpaceX to fly crews to the ISS under its commercial crew program.

SpaceX's first manned test flight, manned by Elon Musk, was a success earlier this week. SpaceX has also been able to complete the six missions it received contracts for. SpaceX has also received additional flights from NASA.

By following this link, you can get a peek at Benzinga's Future of Mobility coverage.

After China's trip, Musk broke 2 - Day Twitter silence after China's trip with Post Praising SpaceX: 38 Astronauts To Orbit So Far!