Transnistria leader calls on Kiev to investigate attacks

Transnistria leader calls on Kiev to investigate attacks

Transnistria's leader has called for Kiev to investigate aggression against his region.

Vadim Krasnoselsky, the president of the self-proclaimed republic of Transnistria, has traced the latest spate of terrorist attacks in the republic back to Ukraine. He urged Kiev to investigate the armed groups that had allegedly infiltrated his region and hit several targets there based on the results of a probe conducted by local authorities.

Krasnoselsky claimed that those who arranged the assault aim to drag Transnistria into the conflict. He also called on Moldova, from which Transnistria seceded a war in 1992, to engage in talks to preserve peace. Don't let Moldova be dragged into an attack against Transnistria, the official implored, warning that it could lead to a big war. The country's president Maia Sandu convened a security council on Tuesday to discuss the situation in the breakaway region between Moldova and Ukraine. She claimed that the attempted escalation has to do with forces inside Transnistria, which want war and are interested in destabilizing the situation. Sandu said that the security situation in the self-proclaimed republic had been deteriorating for several weeks, with reports of explosive devices planted in Transnistria's education and healthcare facilities. The Moldovan government hasn't planned to discuss the issue with Moscow, despite the fact that there had been no direct contact between Chisinau and Tiraspol recently.

According to a Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, the recent wave of explosions in Transnistria was concerning, adding that Moscow was watching the situation very closely. Transnistria, officially known as the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic PMR, has been placed on a terror alert after a slew of attacks. On Monday, the local security service s office in Tiraspol was hit with a disposable rocket launcher. A military base in Parkany was also targeted that day. There were no casualties reported as a result.

Two radio masts were blown up in the village of Mayak early on Tuesday.

Since the predominantly Russian-speaking region became de facto independent in 1992, Russian peacekeepers have been stationed there.