According to one of the top executives at Meta, the former could be back on Facebook as soon as January.
Nick Clegg said the decision would be up to him and he isn't taking it lightly.
Clegg made the announcement at an event hosted by Semafor in Washington, D.C. on Thursday.
Clegg said that if you have the significant ability to make decisions that affect the public realm as a private sector company, you need to act with great caution. The former president was at the Capitol after the Jan. 6 riot. Facebook said at the time that the risks of allowing the President to use our service during this period are simply too great. Facebook said Trump's accounts were blocked indefinitely for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete. In June 2021, Clegg announced that he would be suspended for two years after Facebook s Oversight Board criticized the decision to ban him indefinitely. Clegg said at the time that the company would revisit Trump's ban, asking experts to assess whether the risk to public safety has receded. On Thursday, Clegg returned to talking about public safety and said the company was adhering to the timeline it set in June last year.
We have been very open. Clegg said that the temporary suspension is going to be in place for a two-year period beginning in January of next year. We will look at all the signals we should do, about what we think may or may not affect the risks of real world harm. Fox News Digital reached out to Meta and Trump but did not receive a response.