Man charged with murder of surfer Chris Davidson

Man charged with murder of surfer Chris Davidson

The man accused of killing former pro-surfer Chris Davidson on the New South Wales Mid North Coast has been remanded in custody, as the shocked small-knit community tries to come to terms with the death.

The 45-year old Australian surfer died on Saturday night in Kempsey Hospital after allegedly being punched in the head outside the South West Rocks Country Club before falling to the ground and hitting his head on the pavement.

Grant Alec Coleman, 42, of South West Rocks, was charged with assault causing death and intentionally choking a person.

Mr Coleman did not appear in the Kempsey Local Court where bail was formally refused.

The country club issued a statement saying that they were deeply saddened by the events that took place outside our club, and that they are working with NSW Police to provide necessary witness statements and CCTV footage. Danyelle Macfarlan said everyone in the tight-knit community was very sad and shocked.

There were two deaths that were ruined, apart from the families. It's just really tragic, a waste, she said.

It is just a waste of young life, and it's just one of the well-known locals.

They are both in their 40ties and it's tragically such a waste and I really feel for their families, both of whom are in their forties. Ms Macfarlan predicted that any funeral would be quite big, but for now everyone was still coming to terms with what happened.

It's quite raw for our community. Davidson's friend, former pro-surfer Stuart Cadden, said he felt numb.

He was raw and untapped and could just take anyone on - just so much energy, he said.

He surfed high voltage and he was like that on land. Mr Cadden said that Davo would be sadly missed.

You know a knockabout kind of a fellow, as most people would attest. My kids were always up for a beer and a laugh, and I know they loved him and he was just a lot of energy. Coleman is due to appear in court on November 23.